Sunday, March 20, 2011

Before Midnight?!

That's right, folks. I'm blogging before 12AM.

Phill is out of town til Tuesday evening with the Creative Arts group for the youth ministry. Not sure exactly what that entails, but I do know it means I'm watching Henry, Brian and Sarah's dog, until they return!

This is Henry and Margot playing:

This is my reaction when I think Henry is getting a bit too frisky with my precious baby Margot:

Anywhoo...I worked this weekend and it was all around not too shabby. I absolutely hate the situation one of my poor patients is going through. Without breaking any HIPAA laws let me give you a run-down of this poopy circumstance: female 10 days post-partum with MRSA infected epidural site to lumbar spine. Nasty infection with purulent drainage, a newborn at home that she now can't be around due to hospitalization and later can't be around due to MRSA, and she is being transferred to a different facility so a neurosurgeon can evaluate her. It's making me even more sad just thinking about it all.

Friday was a treat because Fridays are Phill's regularly scheduled days off and I actually had the day off with him! We went with our friends Justin and Heather to a spring training game, Dbacks (hehe, that will never NOT be funny) vs. Mariners. 


I waited in line for the first 3 innings just for this damn drink. It was hot out. I needed refreshment. Fountain pop (not soda) reigns supreme. I chose THE WORST concession line of all time. The drink was heavenly, though :-)

The cutest couple there (maybe I'm biased). PS--I swear I was not naked at the ballpark.

PS--I swear these drunken ladies were hysterical during the 7th inning stretch

stud

2nd cutest couple there? Haha this just makes me laugh seeing Justin laying out like that. To be fair, I totally snuck this photo in. Neither of them know this was taken...poor souls.
You see? If you all would just move out here with Phillip and I you could live in a vacation spot year round! The housing market here is beyond ideal right now. For reals. Just ask Mom and Dad. They know. Basically, I want everyone to move out here because it's pretty and we're here and the climate is really sucking me in and making it so I don't want to leave!

So, who likes coffee? Who likes cake? Who likes toffee? Who likes sugar? Who likes all these things combined?

(PS--you do)

I made this:
Brown Sugar Toffee Cake!
(Obviously, not my picture, however, it really did look exactly like this)

Oh, so you want to make it for yourself, hmm? Well, you're in luck! I'll share the recipe. Seriously, it was a big hit and super yummy...don't you worry about the "sugar" and "calories".

Brown Sugar Toffee Cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup cold strong coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt, at room temperature
3 milk chocolate–toffee bars, such as Heath

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.

Combine together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and then set it aside.

Beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar together in a separate bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, and then beat in coffee and vanilla extract. Add 1/4 cup yogurt, and beat until smooth. Add half of flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup yogurt, then remaining flour mixture. Beat 2 to 3 minutes, or until batter is smooth and creamy.

Spread batter in prepared cake pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, pulse milk chocolate-toffee bars in food processor 8 times, or until crushed into bits. {Or, if you're cool like me and can't get the food processor to agree with you, you can stick the candy bars in zip top bags (must double or triple bag) and take a hammer to 'em!} Sprinkle chocolate-toffee bits on top of cake while hot. Cool completely before serving. 





Have a great start to your week!

1 comment:

  1. I gave up sweets for Lent, but that looks amazing! I will savor the photo!

    ReplyDelete