Friday, May 27, 2011

Tattoo Adoration

I have a love affair with tattoos.

I've been impressed and amazed by tattoos for years now, but over the past several months I have really developed a true love for the art form. Many of you, I'm sure, know that I have a tiny little tattoo on the top of my left foot. Many of you may not know, however, that I'm in the works of getting a new piece of art for my body.

I'm not entirely sure what it is that has given me the courage to finally pursue this tattoo. I think the separation from all of the people that mean the most to me {other than my husband} has led me to really love and appreciate the thought of commemorating the impact of all the relationships I've been fortunate to develop, and all the memories I've been blessed to create, throughout my life. Also, many of my favorite blogger gals are tattoo-adorned and drop dead gorgeous! I've googled the heck out of the tattoo world to find some truly beautiful {and, ahem, NOT so beautiful} works of art. I'm amazed. I'm jealous of the talent because Lord knows I'm sooooooo not blessed with the artistic gene! I mean, why do you think I went into medicine? ;-)

Now, I realize there will be many of you reading this who are very against the idea of me pursuing further tattooing. I greatly value your concern and input. My philosophy on tattooing is actually pretty simple: I think tattooing is a beautiful form of art. I have seen so many tattoos that I plain and simple LOVE. It is true, however, that I have probably seen far more that I despise, but that is where personal taste and style come into play. {Seriously, though, what are some people thinking?!}

I know one of the biggest arguments against tattoos is the "Tattoos are permanent! Think about what you'll look like when you're old and wrinkled!" In all honesty, when I think of myself, old and wrinkly, I think I'd look pretty incredible with my wrinkly tattoos. The ink is permanent and the meaning will still remain, even when some of my loved ones, who the tattoos represent, are long gone. True, they will have a warped appearance. It doesn't bother me, but I can COMPLETELY understand someone's hesitancy in getting a tattoo for this reason. I'll still be proud...and wrinkly :-)

I'm so pleased to finally be pursuing this. I really think that once all is said and done I will cry big ol' tears of joy. Tears representing all the love I have for, and have felt from, my LORD, my family, my friends {brothers and sisters, really}, and my husband. Tears expressing the gratitude for all the blessings I've received, though undeserving, from all those mentioned above. Tears because I miss my family and the deep bonds and relationships I have back East. Tears because I'm aware of the growth taking place in me every single day and I'm forever grateful to my Heavenly Father for being patient with me. I'm learning to love myself, and others, more and more everyday through His guidance & grace. When I envision this tattoo, and possible others in the future, they all take root in love.

I think the tattoo shall remain a mystery until the ultimate unveiling, but rest assured it will most definitely not resemble the likes of any of the following:
"No thanks"--Christopher

So very creepy

Sure, I Ohio Ohio, too! Wait, what???

Really? Really?!

I wouldn't want this person by my side. Not if you're dumb enough to forgo grammar check before permanently altering your body.

Obviously, the memory wasn't too loving.

Bahahahahahahahaha

Wow. I'm really glad they decided to combine those 3 "important" things together in one tattoo.

You know there's about 28,434,692,374 others just like this out there.

Ok, actually maybe I will get this one :-)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my- those pictures gave me a good laugh! I have the same viewpoint on tattoos as you. They can be a truly beautiful form of art and a way to express your love for your family and for other beautiful things. I have commemorated my children with a footprint from each. I have two passages from the Bible on my back (which I get asked about quite often and is actually an opener for talking about my faith). I have others that are more artistic but one is kind of a romantic one that includes the first type of flower Alan just picked and gave to me because he thought of me when he saw it. I am sure that whatever you get will be amazing because you havea great sense of taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    My only opinion on this is that I think you are one of God's most beautiful works of art, as you are. Your beauty, body and soul, transcend anything that a tattoo image can conjure. Granted, I am biased because I think I'm very blessed to have 3 gorgeous nieces and 3 handsome nephews.
    Anyway, miss you and love you always. FYI, Raven says hi to Margot.
    Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, some of these are SO bad!!! Wow. I couldn't even imagine having those on my body! The grammar one is horrid, so is the picture of the woman. Ugh! I hope what you get is very artsy, meaningful and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me it sounds like you are getting another tatoo for all the right reasons. You want to get one for YOU and nobody else. You arent getting one to try and impress others and you arent NOT getting one because of what any of your ultraconservative friends or family thinks. You are following your own path, doing what you feel is right for you. I Love you regardless of whether you have tattoos or not. But I am thinking one of Margot all the way down you arm sounds really cool. JK.
    Uncle Cam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie--I love that each of your tattoos have a special meaning to you

    Aunt Cathy--Thank you very, very much for your kind words. I think you're allowed to be biased ;-) I gave Margot an extra kiss from Raven

    Amber--Thanks for stopping by! I know those pictures are awful. I can guarantee mine will be a step above!

    Uncle Cam--Thank you so much for your support! I literally laughed out loud when I read the last sentence. I can just picture it...hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete